“I love Engine!” has been a joy to hear again and again throughout my first ten months as Executive Director. While I knew 2021 would be a challenge, I am constantly overwhelmed by the sense of support, passion, and excitement from you—our community. The creative spirit fostered by Engine for 11 years is alive and well, and we are committed to supporting new,diverse opportunities to connect, inspire, and learn as we imagine our future together.
Together in the last year—despite the pandemic—we:
- Safely gathered thousands of attendees, artists, makers, and vendors to propel the creative economy through events like Fringe Fest, Artwalk, gallery openings, and a film screening on the top of the parking garage;
- Inspired youth through hands-on experiential learning experiences like boatbuilding with the Compass Project, Summer Camp, and STEAM Sundays;
- Held space for art, offering 18 affordable studios for artists and makers, a gallery and convening space, makerspace, and classrooms; and,
- Opened up our ability to offer additional vibrant, collaborative leadership where Engine’s efforts can be most effective by finding a new owner to take on the restoration of the Marble Block building.
What is next? Your continued support of Engine will help us:
- Lead the implementation of Biddeford’s new Cultural Plan.
- Pilot our creative small business incubator IGNITE and extend our diversity, equity, and inclusion work with designated funding to support BIPOC makers.
- Produce additional curbside performances that activate our downtown storefronts in every season.
- Improve our social impact through a partnership with the University of New England business school.
- Continue our work on Biddeford Blooms: Community Weaving Project, a National Endowment for the Arts and Maine Arts Commission funded project bringing together hundreds of families with artists to vision our future together.
- Expand public art projects in Biddeford, including new murals and bringing the aerial dance crew BANDALOOP to our city, with support from the National Dance Project.
- Fuel the new community partners and outreach programs Powered by Engine!
Join us in propelling our creative community forward. Today, Giving Tuesday, kicks off our annual appeal that is essential support for Engine’s mission. Giving Tuesday is an opportunity for people around the world to come together to thank, help, give, show kindness, and share what they have to lift up our community.
Your donation to our annual fund truly keeps the Engine running. There are many ways to give and support Engine’s mission:
- DONATE ONLINE at feedtheengine.org/donate
- BECOME AN ENGINE-EER to provide important unrestricted operating support with your annual pledge
- and many more WAYS TO GIVE, including gifts of securities, find out more at feedtheengine.org/ways-to-give
Thank you for feeding the Engine!
Jess Muise, Executive Director